Last Updated on July 15, 2022 by Gardens Home Management Services
Home pest control is not easy. There are many different types of summer pests and they can affect the interior and exterior of your home. Now is the perfect time of year to protect your South Florida vacation home from unwanted pests, but how? Here is a guide on home pests in Florida and how to deal with them.
Types of Summer Pests in Florida
There’s nothing like summer pests to ruin a perfect summer day. Florida is unfortunately home to many summer pests. They can cause chaos in the interior and exterior of your home, especially if you don’t take care of them quickly. Here are some summer pests you can find in your home.
- Fire ants: You’ll see fire ants come out in groups in summer. Those aggressive red ants running through your home prefer the dry and sunny Florida weather conditions. They are commonly found in large landscapes or lawns. You might find them around doorways and windows too. They are known to sting intruders and can be unpleasant if you are toddlers or pets at home. You’re going to need to inspect your property to see if you have fire ants and take care of them before they spread to your entire home.
- Whiteflies: These flies can be spotted with a white substance around their body. They can cause damage to your beautiful indoor and outdoor plants. A simple way to check if you have whiteflies is to look for white substances around your plants. You’ll need to get rid of these flies immediately as they tend to lay eggs under leaves that can destroy your plants quickly.
- Termites: Drywood termites are unfortunately popular in Florida. They can be found living in window frames, doors, fences, and even your furniture. It may seem obvious to spot a termite infestation but it’s easier to deal with if you remove these pests before they destroy your belongings. A good way to spot if you have termites is to look for fecal pellets. Fecal pellets are a sign that you need to call a pest removal specialist immediately.
- Spiders: Creepy crawly spiders are another common pest in Florida. They live in cool and dark spaces in your home. Most spiders in Florida are not harmful but they can pose safety risks and create a lot of unsightly webs in the home. If you find a spider web in your home, it’s best to get it checked out ASAP. You might have a black widow spider which can make you and your family sick if it bites someone. There are rare cases in which it can even cause death. Protect yourself, your pets, and your family by regularly inspecting your home for spiders.
- Bed bugs: Bed bugs can spread quickly, unfortunately. They are especially common in summer. They feed off blood so if you spot blood spots on your bedsheets, it’s time to contact a professional to get rid of them.
- Cockroaches: Cockroaches are a health concern in Florida. Apart from the spread of waste, they can reproduce quickly, causing an infestation before you even know it. They can be found in the cooler and darker places in your home but you’ll notice them wandering around for food and water. If you find a cockroach, there’s likely to be more nearby so it’s best to contact an expert.
Vacation Home Watch Services with Pest Control services
Don’t wait until your home is infested with unwanted pests. Our home watch services will ensure that your home is kept pest-free throughout the year. You don’t even have to be at home for us to do our job. Our team will do a thorough check of the interior and exterior of your home for pests and help you to get in touch with the right people to take care of any unwanted pests for you.
Contact our team for more info on our home pest control today!