Last Updated on August 1, 2019 by Gardens Home Management Services
Hurricane season is just around the corner and if you want your home to survive the potential fury of Mother Nature, it’s best to ensure that your house and family are prepared for it. Luckily the Florida area was spared of any serious storms in 2015 (we think this might be thanks to El Nino), but that doesn’t mean that hurricane preparations don’t need to be taken this year. While the government does all that it can to handle potential negative environmental impacts, each resident of the area is expected to take responsibility for their own safety by having evacuation plans in place and preparing homes for the possible onslaught of bad weather.
If you haven’t yet started with preparing your home for hurricane season this year, here are a few tips to help you with the process:
- Create a folder of all important documentation that you can quickly grab if you have to evacuate in a hurry. Your insurance documentation, identity documents and similar must be included.
- Trees, bushes and hedges can cause serious damage during a storm. Make sure that these are trimmed back and cut down as much as possible between June and November.
- Hurricane shutters are a great addition to any home in the Florida area. If you have them, learn how to install them or hire a professional team to install them for you. It is important that these are attached and used correctly.
- Make sure that your yard is clean and cleared of any debris of any kind. Any lose pots, garden décor, outside furniture and similar must be removed. During a storm, these items flying around could be fatal to you, a family member or even a neighbor.
- Ensure that all your gutters and downspouts are secured so that they don’t fly away in heavy wind. Also make sure that the gutters and roof are clear of leaves and debris – this will help to prevent unnecessary damage to your property.
- Install head and foot bolts on doors for added protection.
- Consider installing hurricane straps. These hold the roof of your home to the walls during a storm.
These are just a few tips that can help you with preparing your home for 2016’s hurricane season.
Not in Florida for Hurricane Season? Trust the Professionals to Prepare and Look after Your Home
If you won’t be able to prepare your Florida home for the hurricane season, it’s still important to ensure that your property is fully prepped. At Gardens Home Maintenance Services we can secure your home for potential hurricanes and storms. We will also ensure that you are provided with post storm inspection report on your home once the storm has passed. If your property sustains any damage, we have the tools, experience and resources to ensure that your home is repaired professionally.
For more information and advice on hurricane proofing your home and our home care services, contact us at Gardens Home Maintenance Services today.