Last Updated on May 18, 2022 by Gardens Home Management Services
Spring is time to pack up your vacation house in Jupiter and head North for the next few months. You may be wondering what to do before leaving your home for the summer.
The Exterior of Your Home
Not only is May the month in which you prepare your property to stand vacant for a while, it is also an ideal time to take stock of what maintenance and upgrades need to be done. Start with the exterior of your home and:
- Schedule the professionals – pest control, lawn and pool maintenance, etc.
- Where necessary, replace cracked panes of glass, rusty padlocks, and anything else that will deteriorate while you are away.
- Prune dense foliage that criminals could use to their advantage.
- Take inside any hidden keys.
- Plan for someone to let in and supervise contractors working on your dwelling in your absence.
- Connect motion-sensor lights above primary entrances and windows. Set up lighting timers to give the impression that someone is home.
- Cancel publication subscriptions and arrange mail forwarding.
- Store your car, boat, ATV, and/or golf cart.
- Move outdoor furniture to a location secure from storms and thieves alike.
The Interior of Home
- Methodically clean the interior of your home and throw out any non-perishable or opened foodstuffs.
- Pack away all keys and valuables.
- Change the batteries of your smoke detectors.
- Have your alarm serviced, replace its batteries, and then activate it on departure.
- Prevent mold and mildew by setting your thermostat to 70 – 85 degrees and humidistat at 55 – 60%. Open cupboard and interleading doors.
- Turn off the main water supply. Then empty the pipes by flushing all the toilets and opening all faucets. (Close them when water ceases.)
Hire Local Experts
Because the population of Palm Beach County includes a large ratio of snowbirds, asking your neighbor to keep an eye on things is not a viable option. What’s more, should there be a security threat, you wouldn’t want to put their safety at risk. And if any repairs need to be done, it is a big favor to ask for them to assist with access and oversight.
Your best bet is to recruit estate management services to take care of your non-primary home. They have the expertise and local connections to handle just about anything that may need to be done. Add to that a sophisticated communication system and 24/7 availability 365 days a year, and you can rest assured that your property will be in tip-top condition the next time you visit Jupiter.
Instead of worrying about what to do before leaving your home for the summer, contact Gardens Home Management Services today!